Menu Close

How to Beat the House Edge in Blackjack


The game of blackjack involves two different outcomes – a hit and a stand. The dealer will toss down a face-up card in front of the player can either hit it or stand. In case of a stand, the dealer will turn over the cards face-up and give the winning payout to the player. Otherwise, the game continues with the other players.

Basic strategy

Basic blackjack strategy outlines the optimal play when considering the dealer’s hand. Many new players make the mistake of playing based on emotion or a gut feeling instead of applying sound strategy. Following basic strategy will ensure that your bankroll lasts as long as possible while giving you the best possible odds of winning. This strategy is a great way to learn the game and maximize your profits.

When making your initial bet, choose a small amount. It is recommended to start with a smaller bankroll and increase your bets after winning a hand.


When a player wants to protect their money from the house’s disadvantage, they can choose to place an insurance bet against the dealer. The insurance bet is the same as a normal blackjack bet, except the player will only lose the original bet if the dealer has a blackjack. However, it is not recommended that players place an insurance bet unless they are certain of a winning hand.

The dealer will often offer insurance to a player after all of the hands are dealt. If the dealer’s up-card is an Ace, the dealer will ask if the player would like to take it. If the player chooses to accept, the dealer will check whether the down-card will make a blackjack. If the dealer has a blackjack, the player will win the insurance bet and lose the initial bet.

Double down

The practice of doubling down is an exciting, high-reward blackjack technique that can net you twice your initial bet. However, this strategy is not without its risks. Many people overdo it or make mistakes with their calculations. It is a good idea to play your hands sensibly to increase your chances of winning.

During the course of the game, you may receive a weak card from the dealer. If this is the case, you should try to avoid doubling down and wait for the dealer to reveal a high card. Similarly, if you have an ace, doubling down is not the best idea.


Blackjack surrendering is a strategy that allows players to give up half of their bet after receiving a pair of cards that they find unsatisfactory. This strategy is available in many casino games, and it can be advantageous for players in certain situations. It is most effective in situations when the house edge is less than 50%.

Blackjack surrendering can be advantageous in a number of situations, including situations in which the player has a weak hand against the dealer’s strong up card. It reduces long-term losses by ensuring that the player receives a portion of his bet. However, there are some disadvantages to surrendering.

House edge

The house edge of blackjack is an advantage that the house has over you in blackjack games. This mathematical advantage is built into the game and is relatively small. However, it does not mean that you can’t win a game. A player can use a strategy called card counting to beat the house. This strategy involves predicting the outcome of the next hand with the help of the cards in his hand.

This strategy helps you decrease the house edge to around 0.5% to 1%. It will also reduce the overall expected loss by around $100 to $200 per hour. As a result, it’s worth remembering that a house edge of 1.5% does not mean that you will always lose money when playing blackjack. Instead, you will see ups and downs in your wins and losses. It’s not uncommon to lose half your hands while winning half.